Friday, August 23, 2013

What A Birthday!

Yesterday was David's 59th birthday & it was an excellent day!!  If our treatment plan hadn't changed this week, David would have received chemotherapy on Wednesday and be hooked up to the 5-FU pump on his birthday -- so to be chemo free & pump free was exhilarating!  Plus, since David is beginning to recover from the effects of chemotherapy, he is feeling better than he has felt in months.  While it was a beautiful weather day here yesterday, he was showered with gifts, cards, emails, texts, phone calls, & Facebook birthday well wishes from family, friends, & colleagues near & far -- thanks to all of you for helping to make this birthday a particularly happy day!  Last evening our group of swim friends came by for what we thought was going to be a quick birthday hug at the end of their work day, but they surprised us by bringing by dinner & more gifts.  All I can say is that David went to sleep last night feeling very loved & supported!!

Mom Hager has been given the okay by her surgeon in Seattle to return home to Florida.  So, she will be coming to visit us for a couple of days as she transitions back home.  She will be accompanied by our niece, Mackenzie (she is the young woman who put together all of the special music for David), which is an added bonus!  So, we are looking forward to a nice visit with them Sunday through Tuesday.

We met with the radiation oncologist, Dr. Murphy, on Wednesday morning.  He presented the perfect mixture of compassion, professionalism, intelligence, & team player -- we were highly impressed!  The first step in starting chemoradiation treatment is for David to have a simulation or mapping CT scan.  This will be done Monday morning.  During this appointment, David will have an abdominal CT study from which the radiation physicists in conjunction with Dr. Murphy will map out a 3-dimensional profile of David's pancreatic tumor & then program the treatment to provide the optimal amount of radiation to the varying depths & widths of David's tumor while sparring as much normal tissue as possible (this is called intensity modulated radiation therapy).  He will also be fitted for a body mold to help keep him in perfect alignment for the delivery of the radiation as well as be given several tattoo markings that laser pointers on the radiation machinery will use to make sure that everything is properly aligned for each treatment.  Then we wait for about a week while all of the planning portions of this treatment procedure are set up before David actually begins treatment.

Once again, many thanks for helping to make David's birthday a wonderful, memorable day.  Hopefully, we will have many more birthdays to celebrate in the future as we continue our fight to make David a survivor!!

Much love, Janet 



3 comments:

  1. Hey Dave:
    Congrats on # 59...as my mom would say, WOW! Deb predicted that you would be off chemo and have a great feeling birthday. I'm glad she was right!
    Now I am really feeling it for surgery. I'm excited you're entering the quantitative stage of measurement and excision planning. I would have that calendar out and checking off every day until the "go" day for the decision to operate.
    You and Janet are in my thoughts and prayers every day.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been out of town for the last week so I am just now catching up. Everything I have read sounds encouraging and tracking in the right direction.

    As far as the whole hamburger discussion goes, I must say I am perplexed. Weren't you employee of the month for like 3 months in a row at Burger King circa 1972? I am sure you have a lifetime coupon for free whoppers and fries. There were many times I would stop by BK after a long night out with Bolin and pick up a bag full of fries for the walk home. I was always greeted by a smiling face across the counter and a knowing look.

    At any rate happy belated birthday, I am glad to know there is somebody out there who is older than me. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, so happy you had such a great birthday!! Not a surprised that a very likeable guy, has friends who care. You are, and you do. Like Bill, I remember burgers, but at McD's. Usually between 2-a-days. Rolling out of the lot in the old Olds, and out to the one near the WL Post Office and Osco Drugs. If you're into 5-Guys... I prefer the burger with cheese, a dash of mustard and jalapeno's. May not work for your diet, but...dang that's a good burger. Carol and I will be heading to TX later this year to stop in on the USS TX project and then see my second mom...Aunt Mary. They live in Austin. Just home from the 15th Annual Couples weekend at the beach and the purple wrist band must have been good luck, shot a real low score on a tough course this weekend, and kept thinking of you when I got myself in trouble. Just kept fighting...like you keep fighting my brother. You and Janet...Always in my thoughts and prayers. CB

    ReplyDelete