Saturday, June 11, 2016

3rd Anniversary

Three years ago today David was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  Further diagnostic work-up at that time would reveal that he had stage III (locally invasive without evidence of distant metastases) adenocarcinoma (the most aggressive of the pancreatic cancers).  We don't know exactly what percentage of people with stage III pancreatic adenocarcinoma live to see their 3rd anniversary, but it is somewhere in the teens or single digits.  So, today we rejoice that David is one of the few that is not only still living with this cancer, but living strong.  We also have great sadness for those that have not been as fortunate.  And, we have hope that much more progress can be made to develop methods for early detection of the disease as well as improved treatment regimens for those fighting the disease.

Last weekend we were lucky enough to head to Colorado, where we will stay until the beginning of August when we have to return to San Diego for David's next surveillance CT scan (if the CT scan results are good, we will return to Colorado for the remainder of the summer & early fall).  So, today to celebrate we will go for one of our favorite hikes.  David has a new camera lens to play with (an early Father's Day gift from Milli!), so I'm betting we will have some beautiful photos to share!  And, I'm sure one thing we will do is stand on the top of our private mountain vista & scream "F_ _ _ YOU CANCER!!!!!"  (Sorry Mom & Holly -- don't mean to offend, but there is no other sentiment with more of a conquering feeling!)

If you get a chance today (or over the next several days) to post a comment on this blog or shoot David a quick email (dhager1994@gmail.com) or text or call (619-977-4674) to let him know that you are happy for him, I know he would very much appreciate hearing from you!!

Continuing to fight the fight, Janet & David

4 comments:

  1. Dave and Janet,
    I was about to post a funny (probably only to me) little comment, but then I started to look through your previous year blog posts. These posts document your incredible marathon battle with PC, and that deserves much more that a joke.
    I was struck by several things as I reviewed the chronicle these posts provide. The first thing I marveled at is the tenacity and endurance it takes to wage a successful war against a challenging foe. Dave, I have known of your physical strength and endurance from previous physical endeavors, getting up Mt. Rainier is a big challenge. That physical strength has certainly played a huge part in your success. Simply put, you’re a stud. It also takes mental and emotional strength. That inner strength is invisible to the casual viewer, but it shines through like a beacon to all of us who know your journey.
    Dave, you have not made this journey alone. Your rock, Janet, has been with you every step of the way. I know you would be the first to acknowledge that your success is due in large part to her. She is a treasure.
    There’s a post in 2013 where people sent pictures of themselves wearing purple. Wow, you have a lot of great friends! I believe in the old saying, “To have a good friend, you must be a good friend”. You have been a good friend to so many, everywhere you go. I know you feel the love from your circle of support.

    Now I’m going to say something that will make you shake your head and say “no, no, no” in that quiet way you do. You are an inspiration for me and everyone around you. Yes you have had help and support, yes you have had great medical care, but in the dark of night, in the middle of a storm, its you who chooses to fight and persevere. That is inspirational, and I say thank you for your example of courage and strength.

    Okay, I gotta’ stop before I get too sappy.

    Carpe Diem,
    Larry Kerr

    ReplyDelete
  2. NoNoNo kidding...I was going to do this yesterday, but instantly thought nope. What came to mind was the reality that we all have experienced stumbling, tripping, falling, and in many cases...getting knocked flat on one's ass. It's part of what happens in life. But then, there is the moment that comes after. The day after.

    The Day-vid after, was and is the Day-vid before. Getting up. Quietly telling himself, telling me, telling us....seize the day! "Get up, come on, lets go." These are not individual encouragements, but communal.

    So to the this community and our dear friends, David and Janet... here's to seizing today, and all the mornings after, and all the days after to come. Time to go.

    Chris Ball

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Enjoy your hiking and screaming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are waiting to hear the news from Wednesday, August 10, 2016
    .............Praying and still praying for a clean CT scan.
    Happy Anniversary to the two of you---------We have really enjoyed these pictures, David! My father would be equally as impressed:)

    ReplyDelete