Since I last made an entry to this blog, our world was shaken up again. On June 30th, my dearest friend of 41 years, Holly, died from complications of a routine colonoscopy. Holly & I had been classmates in Physical Therapy School, she was the Maid of Honor at our wedding, one of my few trusted confidants, & a caring & giving friend with the purest heart of anyone in my life. She was always very diligent about her health, so the irony of her death from complications to a preventative health care procedure is glaring! Holly's colon was perforated during the procedure, but it took a week for this perforation to be properly diagnosed. By the time she made it to surgery to have her abdomen cleaned out along with a partial resection of her colon and a temporary colostomy that they planned to reverse in a few months, she was very ill. She survived the surgery, but died several hours following surgery from cardiac complications. This is a loss that has hit us very hard & one that I will never fully recover from.
David, Janet, Holly, & Mark on a visit they made to San Diego in February.
On August 12th, we will be in Seattle with the Hager clan for the wedding of Nelson & Sharree Hager's oldest daughter, Dorothy, on what will be our 39th wedding anniversary! We haven't been able to travel much of late, so we are thrilled to be able to make this trip to celebrate such a joyous event!
Thanks to everyone who follows this blog for your comments, texts, calls, cards, & caring support -- they mean the world to us! Much love, Janet
So sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend. I know how deep the bonding that happens during professional school can be.
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear that you are able to travel to the wedding. Take them some of your beautiful San Diego weather. Our best to you both. Larry and Jennifer
Encouraging news about Dave. Such awful news about your friend, Holly. I am working for a non-profit focused on improving diagnosis. You may want to check it out: http://www.improvediagnosis.org/default.asp?
ReplyDeleteJanet, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Holly. That's awful. I'm glad Dave is hanging in there. We all think about him often especially at the pool. Suzy Kay
ReplyDeleteDear Janet and Dave
ReplyDeleteWe are deeply impressed of your stamina and will to beat the disease. Your strong believe in positive thinking is a source of enormous amounts of energy. We often think of you and wish you a quiet, painfree and sunny pre-christmas time.
With a big hug
Danielle & MArk, Switzerland